Saturday, January 26, 2013

4.16mi

These Saturday long runs vacillate between "i got this" and "can i do this?".

Today's distance according to the high holy program calendar was 4 miles.
It was buzzing in my ear all week. "Psst...4 miles Saturday."
I was all ready to tackle it outside when this happened:

























Columbus isn't the most efficient at clearing its streets.
Maybe I should have journeyed out in it anyways.
But the run was more important to me than the exploring.

So I drove to the gym for the dreaded treadmill.

I strutted in with all the confidence I could muster.
I'm tackling 4 miles today, I conveyed with my stare and nod and thumbs up to random strangers.

But then I got in front of that treadmill and the fear set in.
I must have bent down to tie my shoes at least 7 times.

Once I finally hit "go", I really did GO!
Mile 1 and 2 flew by without even my notice!

I'm starting to learn my stride.  I'm starting to learn my breathing needs.  I'm starting to learn what to do with my arms so my shoulders don't ache.  I'm not flailing down buses anymore like this pal o' mine:


3.5 miles came and I couldn't stop smiling. 
The knowledge that I just ran further and longer than I ever have before shot sparks through my legs and arms. And I kept going.

It really started getting hard when i had .25mi left or 1 lap on that silly treadmill grid.
It wouldn't come fast enough.

Thankfully, this song came on the ipod and pushed me through to the end:

I <3 Macklemore!

So now I can obsess over next Saturday's 5 miler. 
I'll let it whisper in my ear starting tomorrow.
Today, I'm still proud and bragging about today's distance.

And enjoying the best part of any run.
Chocolate Milk in the Batman Glass:


1 comment:

  1. Woohoo!! Way to go! Be proud of today! :) I just added this song to my run list, haha.

    ReplyDelete