Wednesday, January 23, 2013

This is the Challenge

The countdown.




My motivation and inspiration were high immediately after signing up for the Capital City Half Marathon

I've been memorizing motivational quotes and posting images to pump myself up for this feat! 

Feeling tough.

Feeling able.

No doubts I can.
Feeling strong and brave!


The truth is, this week I'm facing the plain fact: I'm nervous terrified.
The training program has begun to feel stagnant. I'm running 2 - 3 miles during the week and increasing on the weekends. And it's hard.  It's such a small number - and it's hard!
I'm impatient to be stronger now.  To be better now.  But this is the challenge. Right here.

I need to remind myself of when I started and could barely run a half mile (and was proud of that half mile).  I need to remind myself of how hard it was to breathe back then. I need to remind myself of that soreness back then and the pain back then. And how all of that is better now.
I need to remind myself that it's supposed to be hard!

This is the challenge:

Patience.
Strength.
Overcoming doubts.
Overcoming fears.
Bravery.
Endurance.
Tenacity.


Easier written than run.


8 comments:

  1. Yeah!! Go Joyce! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo, you should remind yourself that you are awesome! Awesome for training, and blogging. ps. love that last motivational photo, haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's hard to remind myself all that, nicci. but all of this feedback sure helped power through the last couple of days. that last one is my all time fave too. my mantra, if you will.

      Delete
  3. You have so much to be proud of, JB. Keep running...and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! I think everyone has a number (or numbers), that they get stuck at. I had the hardest time running 5 miles and then again at 8. You just have to keep pushing. You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i knew plateaus would happen - i just didn't think it'd be this early! you're right. pushing through is key. i need some more motivational quotes. one said it's not your body that's giving up, it's your mind. oh shut up :)

      Delete