Sunday, April 21, 2013

eleventy

today's scheduled run was 11 miles.  

everything after today will be decrease and taper in preparation for me to be at my strongest for the race. so as you can imagine, i really couldn't wait to get this distance out of the way. partly to not be scared of it anymore.  and partly to see how i'll potentially do on the big day.

as i got geared up this morning, i was really nervous.  so much so that i was pretty shaky.  
i tried to focus on the normal routine i do before long runs.  
oatmeal. coffee. banana. prepare gear. charge phone. charge ipod. 

out the door.

i felt fresh and really strong for the first 8 miles!
it was very exciting.

with race time quickly approaching, spectators are solidifying their plans. 
since i know most of the people planning to show up, i was able to imagine them on the sidelines.  some will make me laugh.  some will make me cry.  and ALL will make me feel like i can run the whole distance.

during the early part of the run, a text popped up on my phone.  even though i couldn't read it, i saw it was from my friend, amy, and thus knew what it said.  
she is constantly telling me:  you are a distance runner!!
this became my mantra today.

tiring out.
"you are a distance runner"
questioning if i could really do this distance
"you are a distance runner"
what's that pain?
"you are a distance runner"

((my friends have TRULY been my motivators and cheerleaders))

i got to about 8.5 miles and started to struggle.  
there's a point on the running trail where it overlaps some residential streets and at 9.8 miles i stopped and stood on the corner of an intersection.  i just stood there.  and cried.
and thought of my friend nicci who told me a few weeks ago she did the same during a very long run.
i was scared i wouldn't be able to start up again.
i was angry i had stopped at all.
i was frustrated that i stopped with little more than a mile to go.

that's when i took a deep breath and started off again.  
after only a couple minutes, i almost stopped again.  
in fact, i slowed down but actually yelled out "NO!" and kept going.
i checked my gps almost every 10 seconds.  
as SOON as that bugger switched to 11 miles, i got to walk again.

so while it wasn't the triumphant run i had hoped for, i did the distance i had set out to do.

the countdown is nearing single digits!!

if you people don't have anything planned for next saturday, come cheer me on!!
it's becoming obvious i'm gonna need all the help i can get.

here's the MAP of the course!!





3 comments:

  1. In my marathon training, I had a day that I had to stop and call my husband to pick me up. I also had never done more than 18 miles before race day. You're already miles and miles ahead of where I have ever been. You rock, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be there! Now, I just have to think of a witty sign...

    If you can do 11 miles then you can totally do 13.1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 11 miles is 11 miles, and you are doing so great, Joyce! I can't wait for your race day! I will be cheering you on from Nevada! You are going to rock it!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete