Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ten Kays

Today's race was all about practice.
Practice for the big one in May.
I couldn't help thinking that as I laid awake at 2:30 last night.  Then again at 4.  
If my nerves for this race are only a fraction of May's half marathon, then I will not sleep or eat May 1-3.  
A lot of the nerves were about where to park.  Where to go.  Will I bring everything?  Will I bring too much?
I had a nightmare that I accidentally wore my glasses during the run and tripped and fell and broke my glasses.  ??  I think that was about my anxiety of being prepared.

The morning was a little chilly.  OK, a LOT chilly. 
I found parking. Geared up.  Walked over to COSI along with 2000 of my closest friends.  It was a silent walk.  Eerily quiet.  Felt like everyone was nervous.
And I was cold.
Oh good god.  I'm freezing.  
I'll warm up when I start running?
Luckily the museum was open and everyone huddled around the pendulum waiting for the time to tick closer to race time.

I started reading signs around the museum.  Wait, how can I read signs??  Why can I see??
My nightmare had come true.  I had my glasses on.  I forgot to put my glasses in the car!  
It was too close to start time to run back.  What am I supposed to do with my glasses???
UGH!
I checked pockets.  Too loose.  Too small. 
Oh brother.  Wear them??

I wandered away from the pendulum.
I wanted to get going.  10 minutes until start time.

"Hey, Joyce."
"DAVE!!!!  YOU'RE HERE!!!!"
I ran into a friend I didn't think would be there.
In the middle of 2000 people, we ran into each other.
"DAVEIHAVEMYGLASSESIDON'TKNOWWHATTODOSHOULDIWEARTHEM??!!!"
As always, his calm voice offered solace.  
"I'll just put them in my bag."
Oh.  Right.  OK.
Seeing Dave really helped me calm down. 
He reminded me this is all about practice for the big race. 

Everyone started inching toward the doors.  It was time to line up.

The flags outside were really blowing hard.  
The inflatable arch signaled the start and finish line.
House of Pain blared on the speakers.  "Jump around!  Jump around!"

It was time to start.
Dave and I parted. "Good luck!"  He would finish about a half hour ahead of me.

















I found a pace marker that sounded about right.  I'll stand here.
The countdown began.
House of Pain was still yelling.
All my gear was queued up. iPod? check.  gps? check.

Jump Around!!!  Jump up, jump up, and get down!!!

3-2-1! 
The horn sounded.

Everyone surged toward the inflatable arch.  
Then we stopped.  Then we surged.  Then everyone slowly walked.
I had that feeling when I go up the hill on the roller coaster. 
I know exactly what's on the other side of that inflatable arch.  And it was coming slowly.

Then we were off.  
My legs felt fresh.  
No soreness. 

I looked at my gps at about 1/2 mile.  I was running WAY too fast.  I knew this was going to happen.
Slow.  Down.
I want to be able to finish the race!  Not be zonked and have to crawl.  
Slow.  DOWN!

At about a mile and half, there was a traffic jam.
What IS this!?!?  

It was the first water station.  I looked at my gps and noted where we were.  I was going to run this 5k loop twice and didn't need water now, but I knew it would be exactly where I'd need it second time around.  

First loop:
There were some HILLS!
some were short and steep.  some were long and steep.  some were long and not so steep.  
But there were some HILLS!
Yeah, that reminds me - I'm gonna need to train on some hills soon.

The route would have been beautiful if it was a little later in the year.  
We ran along the streets and trails that lined the river.  
Without the blooms of the trees, it was a bit desolate.  
The route winded enough that sometimes I could see people way way ahead of me and at the same time, I could see people way way behind me.  
At one point, I looked at the trail behind and only saw about 11 people.
So, you're telling me, I'm in place #1,989???
Just keep running.  Keep your pace.
Repeat.

As the first loop finished, the flags and the arch were once again in sight.  The techno music pumped through the speakers as the announcer repeated - keep going, doing great, stay to the right.

Second loop:
Pretty sure there are some hills coming.  
All I kept my mind on was that water station I saw way back when.
It was almost time to take my GU.

The water station was in sight.  I eyed my guy.  
I took the cup.
THANK YOU!!!
I may have yelled too loud. (headphones were in)
This water is blue.
Oh, god, this water is Gatorade.
I drink plenty on my training runs.  
Out of water bottles.  
This was a dixie cup.
With blue Gatorade.

I tried to sip. 
Blue Gatorade splashed all over my face and sweatshirt.
I tried again.
Too much went in my mouth and I choked and I almost threw up.  
OK, I quit the blue Gatorade.

Now my countdown to myself began.
2 miles left.  You can do two miles.  
Two miles is easy.
You can do 2 miles.

A steep, long hill.  OK. Got this.
People stopped to walk it.  
I refuse to stop.
I plowed up that hill. 
I will not walk.  I will not stop.
Forward.
Go.
Ugh.
My self talk is just syllables now.

Almost to the top and I realize I'm getting lapped by the faster runners doing the 15k.
Little dude SHOOTS to the top of the hill I felt like all my achievement in conquering this hill was just smacked down.
I look at the girl next to me.
"Holy Crap!"
We laugh and finish the hill together.

I can hear the music and the speaker guy again.  Half a mile.  
Got this!!!
Half a MILE!!!
The flags and inflatable arch are in view again.
This time, I don't take my eyes off the arch.

FINISH!!!!

And now I'm the proud owner of one of these.
Never had one of these before!!!



















One more practice race (15k) in two weeks.  
And then....the big one in 40 days on May 4th.

8 comments:

  1. So proud of you, JB! Not only are you a distance runner, but I'd go so far as to add damn good writer. Keep at it. All of it. You continue to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, acp! wowza, a double whammy compliment!! coming from you, that means a lot, friend :)

      Delete
    2. BEST RACE RECAP EVA!!!!! I am so, so proud of you JoyceBuckley!!!! You did it girlfriend!!

      Delete
  2. WHOOO HOOOO!!! way to GO Girl!!! SO proud of you! :) SO excited for you!!! HUGS! Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the race recap! I have felt SO many of those things, and more! The first race is always the most nerve-wracking. The more you do, the more you get into a great routine, and you won't worry about the nitty-gritty specifics as much.

    Now that you've experienced the "quick start" problem that lots of beginners have, you'll be a lot more aware of it in future races. The key is to make sure you are in a group with the same paced runners. Weaving and dodging at the beginning of a race is an energy killer! Also, even if people are passing you at the beginning, stick to your pace--you'll end up passing them later!

    I always take a bag to the check-in. That way, if I forget to get rid of something, or there's something I need last-second, I will have it with me until 10 minutes before race time. I also make sure I have my flip-flops (I get ridiculously sweaty feet, and I have to get out of my socks--almost before I've gotten my medal!).

    As for water stations, here's a couple of tips: Don't stop at the first table. That's where the bottlenecking happens. Also, to solve the sloshing problem, when you get the cup, smash the opening from an O shape into a flat line (like you're closing the mouth of the cup). There will be slight openings on both ends. Then, you can drink out of one side of the cup like you're drinking through a straw...MUCH easier than trying to drink out of it the regular way while running! It's a little more like drinking from a sport bottle that way. I tried to find a picture of what I mean, but I couldn't find one. Let me know if that is confusing, and I'll take a picture and send it to you! :) Basically, your cup will go from this shape: 0 to this shape 0---0

    Congrats again on an awesome race! Can't wait to continue your journey virtually with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, allison!! i even thought as i left the house - wow, this is a lot of stuff, i should have a bag or something. but never took that thought further. next time i'm packin' and checkin'!!
      the good news about starting too fast is i finished at a WAY faster pace than i train at and i still feel ok (right now).
      i can't even think about water at the first table. so i won't stop there. i don't get why everyone needed something only a mile in. the crush top of the cup makes sense. i will practice that next time. and i now know it's ok to dump some out to make it easier. these were filled to the tippy top.
      it's all a learning process. pretty soon, though, i'll be an expert!
      thanks, allison!!!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!! You are well on your way to that half marathon!

    Also, the water line/bottlenecking is seriously the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! it was the worst. no, the worst was when they ran out of chocolate milk and bananas before i got to the end. I WANT MY SNOWVILLE CHOCOLATE MILK!

      Delete